- This event has passed.
WALKING TOUR OF HORRORS
“Take any building in York and someone has died there!” So begins Rob Garton Smith’s popular Walking Tour of Horrors, which returns once only to the York Festival in 2019.
This walking tour details murders, accidents, suicides, and all manner of ghastly deaths in York from the 1830s to modern times, mostly in the places where they occurred.
- the duel over a literary matter
- the convict hanged for an axe murder he did not commit
- the danger of shopping at Monger’s trading post
- Adeline who drowned on her honeymoon
- the deadly gang fight at the Castle hotel
- the man found lying on the rail before an oncoming train
- the children who died in the flames
- awful horse accidents
- the sad story of Charles Playter on a hot summer’s night,
- a neck-breaking lark at the town hall, and lots more.
Participants will be invited to take part in some of the dramatic re-enactments, with the most gruesome roles being reserved for children.
This walk will start at Botanicalia 152 Avon Tce on at 4:00 pm and will finish around 5:45 pm – the length of a thriller feature film.
Date: Saturday 28 September and Saturday 12 October 2019
Venue: Botanicalia 152 Avon Terrace
Time: 4.00 to 5.45pm